About “YELLOW BARDEZ” Campaign
We are aware that there are several suicides taking place in the taluka of Bardez. According to WHO statistics, for every person who ends his life there are 20 more persons who have attempted and survived and around a 100 who are thinking about it. The problem is huge and there is no formal program in place in the Bardez taluka to tackle the issue.
Through the Yellow Bardez Campaign, We hope to:
- Create Awareness that Suicide is a preventable condition
- Create awareness on the sources of help
- Train groups of people on understanding suicide, risk factors and basic intervention
- Promote efforts to reduce access to lethal means and methods of self- harm
- Understand the psychological needs of the community and try to bridge the gap
- Develop a network of partners within the community
- Observe World Suicide Prevention Day (10th September )
- Observe Mental Health Day (10th October )
The campaign will be conducted between the 10th of September to the 10th of October with assistance from concerned citizens of Bardez. Many programs have been chalked out like walks, cycle rally, talks and workshops to students, teachers, counsellors, police, taxi drivers, key people in the community etc, public programs like street skits, distribution of information material, media programs, Short film competition, inter school/college competitions etc. On 10th September, World Suicide Prevention Awareness Day will be celebrated by a public program with the Lighting of the Candle of Hope.
We encourage people who are undergoing stress to please seek help. They may call the Listening Helpline 0832 2252525 operational from Monday to Friday 3pm -7 pm to get support.