COOJ is a non-profit, non-governmental organization set up in the year 2000 to bridge in the gap between the existing services in mental health and the immense need. With minimal rehabilitation available there is a huge population who are in need of psychosocial support. COOJ works towards bringing a lasting change in the lives of people affected with mental illness through various evidence based strategies. With the belief of rendering quality services we constantly challenge ourselves with the hope of doing better.
COOJ envisions a just, humane, healthy and more tolerant society wherein every individual regardless of their level of ability is given the opportunity to achieve his/her full potential thus enhancing individual respect and dignity through better quality of life.
To promote mental well being and recovery by creating an environment that provides high quality services using therapeutic and evidence based practices, information sharing, education, advocacy and a unified effort to all persons irrespective of class, religion, or cultural differences thus creating pathways for mainstreaming.
To provide psycho social rehabilitation services and promote positive mental health.
- To bridge the gap between the existing services in mental health and the need for better quality services.
- To provide sustainable facilities for treatment of psychiatric illnesses through clinics and counseling centres, in areas where they are not available.
- To provide rehabilitation facilities for persons with chronic mental illness by way of Day Care Centres, Sheltered Workshops, support groups, short and long stay homes, etc.
- To provide employment opportunities for people suffering from mental illness by networking with business establishments and corporate organisations or setting up self run businesses in certain cases.
- To lay emphasis on preventive and anti-stigma mental health programmes, targeted at various sections of society, through education on mental health in order to develop a comprehensive understanding of the prevailing issues.
- To lobby with government bodies to ensure that people with mental illness are not deprived of their basic rights.
- To provide the necessary training in mental health and rehabilitation to equip professionals in the medical field, like general physicians, nurses, paramedical staff, and lay volunteers etc with adequate knowledge.
- To network with governmental and non-governmental organizations as well as the private sector in order to share knowledge and resources for the development of sustainable and replicable models of optimal mental health care.
- To conduct research in the field of mental health to further our understanding and enable certain policy changes.
- To cater to all sections of society regardless of religion, creed, caste, cultural background and socio economic status.
Our Legal Status:
All necessary legal registrations have been done as follows:
- COOJ Mental Health Foundation Trust registered at Mapuca, Bardez, Goa, India, Sub- Registrar Department -No. 2211/Goa/2002
- As a Charitable Trust under Section 12AA(1)(b)(i) of the Income Tax Department – F.No. C-14/12A/CIT/PNJ/2004-05
- Under provisions of the PWD Act 1995- Act 1 of 1996 at the Directorate of Social Welfare DSW/CERT/15/2005 – renewed as of DSW/REN/CERT/02/2016-17 valid till June, 2019
- Income Tax Department for 80G tax rebate, order no F.No. CIT/PNJ/C-21/132/80G/2009-10
- Registered under Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act 2010 Registration No: 271830158 with Punjab National Bank, Mapuca Branch account number 14963 and reference NO.II/21022/87(0005)/2010-FCRA-II